Mental Health- its fine to talk about it!
Today I am here to share few things from my life which made me realize about the importance of talking about mental health. No one is born perfect and so I am.
Initially I used to get scared of being alone, left out alone, not having friends. I was very bad in anger management which would result in shouting at people, beating them, not letting others talk, throwing my things, etc. All these things would happen during day time and then during night the fear of loneliness, fear of people leaving me because of my behavior, crying, hurting my self, not getting proper sleep would happen.
fortunately I have got very good people around me who supported me during my bad time. Even after fight they themselves would approach to me and start the conversation. They never left me for the things I did to them. Even then I was unable to accept it. Still I was suffering with same anger management, fear of losing people and loneliness.
Then I decided to take help of the Psychologist in our university campus. I approached him and started to attend session. He was not doing anything but let me talk. Even now I don’t know how those sessions helped me. But the patience level he had was awesome. He would listen everything I spoke, he would question and keep quite. Then he would ask me to practice few things and come back after few days. I was visiting him for one whole semester and I never felt bad for visiting him.
No one is going to have good mental health through out their life. I was doing good after those counselling sessions in my university. But life has got its own ways to test us. After moving to my first job, I was facing another mental health problem. That was even more worst. This time I was left out alone and I was in a new city.
Again I was fortunate. I was supported well by my brother. He was listening to me and supporting me always. He would suggest me things to do. And most important thing in that phase was I was working as a teacher. I got few friends who started supporting me in that worst period. My students had important role in my healing phase. I started spending more time with them and only them. Not into any politics of school or work space.
But all healing takes something from you. This healing took the old me who used to love cooking, enjoy food. This healing made me to stop enjoying cooking. Even now I am unable to get what I lost during that healing process.
Major Healing steps:
- The most important thing to remember when you want to heal is to accept that you are dealing with some mental health issue. If you are are not accepting that you are dealing with mental health issue, you will never come out of the pain.
- Find few people in your circle whom you can share what ever you feel. Talk with them how you feel, tell them why is it happening to you, tell them what is bothering you. It is important to express what you feel. If you are not sharing, you are not going to get help from anyone.
- If you identify what is bothering you or what is creating problem for your mental peace, try to divert yourself from that. Concentrate on what you love. If you love long drive go for it. If you are a music lover, go for a music show. If you love watching movie, go out for a movie. If you are a nature lover, go for a near by park or lake or beach or whatever available near you. If you love travelling, go for a week long trip. do think about anything. Your mental health is important than anything else.
- Start telling that you are healing. Belief is very important in healing process. Believe that you are healing. Accept the small problems you face during the process. Never forget that you are almost over it. You have seen more than what ever you are going through now.
Never lose you hope.
I made it possible because I accepted, spoke, took help, stood back, Believed in me.
Come back with all your happiness. Suffering is just a phase not the end.
For the people who are supporting:
- If you notice someone with depression or some other mental issues, please talk with them. They might not respond back properly. But make sure you communicate. It will take time for them to open up.
- Have a lot of patience. If you are supporting someone who is going through bad time, you should have lot of patience. You need to listen a lot of shit which is going on in their head. Listening to them is what they need.
- Give hope. Tell them they are doing great. If they need some time give them that. But make sure you get back to them. Check now and then about their activities. Take them out. Hug them.
- Stay positive and talk positive. They need lot of Positive energy. Smile at them. Greet them. Appreciate them.